On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 2:23 AM, CRPence <CRPbottle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
up the correspondingly /simple/ solution. The issue is extremely
complex because the requirements from one individual to another are
always wildly different, and as an object-based system instead of the
typical /everything is a file/ architecture, the complexity grows in
defining the scope.

Besides, it's not like this problem is solved on any other platform.

David Odom cited Windows as an example that has strong built-in search
capabilities. This is very well true on a Desktop, but something
entirely different on a server.

Assuming we have a rather large file/database server, you can enable
Windows Search Indexing, but it will bog down the performance of the
whole machine for a rather noticeable degree. Even then, only files
that have corresponding "IFilters" can be searched, so while your
Excel and Word documents might be retrievable, you'll start to have
problems when talking about Access Databases.

Even worse, if we run SQL Server on the same machine, Windows Search
Indexing is entirely worthless. You'll have to use seperate
capabilities to search through a SQL Server database.

The same things are also true for Linux systems, even though with
different product names.