Re: 0551/0553 rack back panel

fixed

My best guess is that the foam is for noise reduction from the air
movement devices (fans) in the cabinet.

Steve

Steven Morrison
Fidelity Express

"Jones, John (US)" <John.Jones@xxxxxxxxxx>
07/10/2008 12:09 PM
Please respond to

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
0551/0553 rack back panel

There's a vertical metal plate with inward-facing foam on the back door
panel of our racks. It covers roughly the center third of the panel.
Anyone have an idea what purpose it serves? Seems to me it just
restricts some airflow. The back of our rack it rather warm & I'm
wondering if the airflow would be better and system temps would be lower
if that panel was removed.

We haven't had any thermal warnings, which implies I'm ok to ignore it.
But it bugs me.