David Gibbs wrote:

Well, the CPY command doesn't list CPFA09E as an escape message it sends ... perhaps there is a different error that you should trap? I suspect that CPFA09E is sent as a diagnostic.

Minor note... I no longer know how I ran across it, but I can locate code where I monitored for and caught CPFA09E from CPY at least as early as 2001/05. I have a delay-loop that checks again after a time. It only allows a single retry due to the nature of the process. I would do it differently if I wrote the entire procedure today; at the time, it was expected to be replaced.

But why would it work in Job A and not Job B...? Interactive vs. batch? Different users? Created in Job A so it can be caught in Job A (or the complement)? Windows user vs. i5/OS user (how is the test file created)? Different file systems? Is the test directory shared to the Windows Network? Different systems -- different PTFs?

Sorry, don't know, though I see that it has been resolved by the OP.

I guess my only point here is that the docs that list messages that can be monitored are not always perfect.

Tom Liotta