<snip>
We are in V5R3: is it possible to setup a trigger program to a file that

is being used?
</snip>

Something must have changed. We are at V5R4M0 and I tried to add with
file in use and it wouldn't let me. Years ago you could. They must have
tightened everything up. The bigger trick is removing it.

If trigger is in use, there is no way to remove unless you remove all
locks and if you have a file that is in use all the time that probably
means shutting down everything. The other problem is that the system
puts an exclusive lock on the program so you cannot change it or update
it.

You might want to consider using my Trigger Mediator. Instead of adding
a trigger program directly to the file, you add the trigger mediator and
it calls the correct program from a database table and since the program
that gets called by the database is the Trigger Mediator you don't have
locks on the file or the program and everything can turned off or no
instantly for all triggers or just an individual file.

A version is available from www.think400.dk/downloads.htm under Trigger
Mediator but I have a major new version that supports recursion and
other upgrades that I am waiting to deploy. If you want I can send you
the newest version. This is all freeware.

There is source and a save file with everything compiled at V5R2M0 and
since you are at V5R3, should be no problem using straight out of the
box as it were.

Anyway, let me know.