If you are evaluating several barcode gun systems (as you probably should
if you have any sort of challenging environment), the site survey is a
point that vendors will compete on. We had one vendor that was willing to
waive the fee for the site survey if they were selected. We ended up
selecting them on a number of other points, but it was good to end up not
paying for the survey.

Not sure what you're looking for exactly, but check out Psion-Teklogix. We
replaced an older Intermec system with Teklogix APs and guns and we can
count the number of system related issues in the past 4 years on one hand
(all small issues). Tech support calls that I can remember other than
hardware gun returns? I can remember ONE in the very beginning. The
system and protocol they use is rock solid. They also offer a nice thin
and robust 5250 protocol called TESS that runs in conjunction with their
APs (some of which become 'mini-controllers'). The guns have been solid
and work well until they get banged up eventually (they are used in a rough
plant environment). The hardware return process is an easy web based RMA
system and their repairs are quick and dead on. If I remember correctly,
the Teklogix solution competed well on a price point also.

Jeff Crosby
<jlcrosby@dilgard
foods.com> To
Sent by: Midrange Systems Technical
midrange-l-bounce Discussion
s@xxxxxxxxxxxx <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

06/12/2008 03:17 Subject
PM Re: Handheld bar code scanners

Please respond to
Midrange Systems
Technical
Discussion
<midrange-l@midra
nge.com>

All,

I've contacted a couple of IBM BPs who say they have
experience/expertise in this area. After talking to the proper people
in those companies and finding the costs (and references), I'm going to
approach management to pay for one of them coming in and telling us what
access points we need.

Baby steps, man, baby steps.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm sure there will be more questions
down the road.

--
Jeff Crosby
UniPro Foodservice/Dilgard

Scott Klement wrote:
Hi Jeff,

1) Are vendors willing to come in and determine for you how many access
points would be needed in your warehouse, at no cost?

No. A knowledgeable vendor might GUESS at the number you'd need... but
to do it properly, a site survey should be conducted. This involves a
technician coming in with test equipment and measuring the signal
strength based on the number of APs, their locations, and the types of
antennas used.

<snip>