With any of these planning type questions, I can highly recommend the
'second opinion service' that Randy Watson's Midrange Performance Group
offers. It's based on data collected/extracted from the demo version of
the Performance Navigator product and will show your systems actual
workload (from different perspectives, memory, CPU, disk arms, types of
controllers, etc.) against various models and blends of hardware features
and setups. It can be bought for a reasonable price (compared to a bad
hardware decision that you realize later on...), but some Business Partners
will also offer this modeling from MPG as part of the hardware planning
when purchasing a new box from them.

I've used it for two tricky disk arm/controller choices and have been able
to make the 'right' decision between some controller cards and expansion
cabinets that were/were not really needed.

Pat Barber
<mboceanside@worl
dnet.att.net> To
Sent by: Midrange Systems Technical
midrange-l-bounce Discussion
s@xxxxxxxxxxxx <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

06/11/2008 03:34 Subject
PM Re: 515 not performing to full
rating due to disk arms?

Please respond to
Midrange Systems
Technical
Discussion
<midrange-l@midra
nge.com>

Since they both have the "same" cpw but a much larger $$$ seperation,
I suspect they just want more hardware dollars.

A 525 can be expanded with additional drives , a 515 can not.
How many drives are they recommending "day one" ?

More memory is always better.

JD Edwards has been around and I suspect several people on the list
can speak about what sort of performance they are getting with other
machines running the same software.

I have no experience with JD Edwards, so I can offer no help
there.

Scott Lindstrom wrote:

Since you can only have 8 drives on a 515, the only constraint would
have be memory.
What are "they" recommending for a box ?
What does this application do and what is the primary language ?

Pat-

The box is being quoted at 3gb of memory. The app is JD Edwards World
(English).

If 3gb is not enough RAM to get the rated CPW, I wonder what is?

The BP recommends an M25 series box.

Scott