Rob,

Sorry for the delay in replying, and for confusing you on the TCP Interface/Preferred Interface.

The Preferred Interface is set up when you create a TCP Route.
For example, this ensures all traffic out to the Internet shows as coming from 10.9.9.11 regardless of the several other interfaces created on the system:

Display TCP/IP Route

Route destination . . . . . . . . . . : *DFTROUTE
Subnet mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *NONE
Type of service . . . . . . . . . . . : *NORMAL
Next hop . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.9.9.254
Preferred binding interface . . . . . : 10.9.9.11
Maximum transmission unit . . . . . . : *IFC
Duplicate route priority . . . . . . . : 5
Route metric . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 1
Route redistribution . . . . . . . . . : *NO

Neil Palmer, Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

(This account not monitored for personal mail,
remove the last two letters before @ for that)