From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tim Gornall
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2008 9:47 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: I almost dropped the system due to SQL using large amounts
forresources

We have a SQLRPGLE program that dynamically builds the SQL statement
based on user imput. Sometimes the statement can fairly large and when
it is it uses very large amounts of both processing and storage
resources. I have seen it gobble up processer, but was surprised
yesterday when I noticed the the system ASP when through the roof. The
ASP was up to 93 percent and climbing when I got word. As soon as I
ended the job the ASP came back down almost immediately. I backed out
the process completely until I can be assured this won't happen again.

The job is run interactivly within an order entry process. We
implemented it last week and instantly noticed slow system response when
large queries are run. As a quick fix, I change the job priority within
the program before the sql runs and then change it back afterwards.
This makes it run a bit slower for the user but the system does not take
the hit.

But now with the ASP issue, I need a real fix. Is there a way to to
limit the amount of resourses the job can alocate? Both processer and
ASP.
Basically put some type of govenor on SQL. Idealy it would be a global
setting for all SQL run on the machine.

Thanks, Tim

Privileged and Confidential. This e-mail, and any attachments there to, is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain privileged or confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify me immediately by a return e-mail and delete this e-mail. You are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and/or any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited.