On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Jerry Adams <Jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Doesn't this simply mean that they will run on the platform, OS? I doubt that this is what Don was talking about. Heck, we still have applications written in RPG II for the System/34 running on our i5 model 520 running v5r4.

It wasn't - it's just the closest thing that already exists on the
market. See my last sentence is said mail.

Besides, the Microsoft application certifications just ensure that the
app plays by the current OS rules - for example, an application that
uses File/Registry Virtualization wouldn't pass the "Certified for
Windows Vista" test. In the same way, an application that passes a
hypothetical exam "Certified for IBM i" would ensure that it a) runs
on V6R1, and b) does not use legacy platform emulation like the S/36
environment.

Any certification would have to be objective and repeatable across applications by different vendors.

Isn't that largely impossible? How would you certify an ERP solution?
They're gigantic - and there are hundreds of fundamental differences
between the available solutions.