rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Has anyone out there done a 520 to M25 upgrade? Technically, it doesn't sound like a big deal. My only questions are:
Were you able to do it without "special bid"?
Did they get you to go from the nice unlimited users on the 520 to paying for users on the M25?
'cause there's a M25 upgrade on the loading dock that I am forbidden to open or install until this mess gets cleaned up because it may go back.

Rob Berendt
Technically it's not. Worst case is Unload/Reload best case is probably a Loadsource Migration.
BP's use Special Bids all the time to get better pricing and sometimes to 'flex' the rules when IBM let's you. I don't think it's required for 520 to M25.
Without getting into details... I configured a 520 2400 CPW Enterprise box swap. Meaning bascally leave all the old IO and swap the CPU. in rough numbers there were some minor changes to handle the M25.

520 to 525 3800 CPW Unlimited Users $50K
520 to 525 7100 CPW Unlimited Users doubled the memory too $98K
520 to M25 4300 CPW Unlimited Users $97K ( included and $50K OS charge )
When we went to IBM to discuss, there was nothing to discuss, they wouldn't budge

Long Story Short... look real hard at the 525 if you are coming from a 520. Just because it's new doesn't make it cheaper.