Joe,

It was helpful to try a live demo. It helped me to better understand your your drum-roll posts about EGL and pairing EGL clients with RPG servers which seems like good architecture to me. I monitored the client-server message interactions using Fiddler to better understand what was going on under the covers and did some stress testing via repeated mouse clicks on some of the buttons.

The part that was quite a bit off my radar screen was the 700K plus bytes of JavaScript client code. In my eight years as a Web application developer I don't think I've written a total of 700K in JavaScript. As I perused the code, it appeared to be generated, as opposed to being written from scratch.

From EGL discussions on midrange lists, I had the impression that EGL was primarily a server-side code generator that leveraged JSF, but the demo client led me to gather that EGL can be used to generate rich JavaScript clients.

I liked the iPhone metaphor, but one suggestion for Chris Laffra is that the UI would look better and be more intuitive if the iPhone behaved like a container instead of just a background image, so record lists remained within the boundaries of the iPhone, and scrollbars appeared within the iPhone.

Overall, it was impressive.