With the help of IBM support I have this working. The biggest issue was I
had the partition number on the nwsd set to the wrong number. Didn't have
too much trouble sharing the DVD as virtual optical (not to be confused
with image catalog virtual optical). Apparently they do not support
virtual tape (not to be confused with image catalog virtual tape) on a
guested lpar. Lucky for me I am not using a tape drive that is unable to
be dynamically lpared. I booted from the DVD and I am now in the process
of restoring from the alternate installation (not alternate IPL) device.
This is my 3576 tape drive. The only trick being I used the web interface
to the tape drive to move the cartridge from the i/o slot to the drive as
the OS wasn't even up to the point of being able to do a WRKTAPCTG or
such. Now sitting on "36 of 199 libraries processed..." during the
restore and running.