From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of CRPence
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 11:28 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: DB2 UDB Extenders - Where's the documentation???

Because the extender features are generic across DB2, documentation
is somewhat limited in what is specific to the DB2 for i5/OS. I believe
it is the V8 [Version 8] that is delivered as 5722-DE1 for i5/OS V5R4;
see the ftp link below which suggests that is the case. However the
link I have for i5/OS V5R2 documentation [SH12-6720] is from V7 [Version
7.2]. That documentation will probably suffice for your inquiry,
including direction to use QSHELL for the administrator commands [thus
the *nix variant examples]:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r2/ic2924/books/h1267201.pdf

Thanks Chuck! This is what I was hoping for...to bad it wasn't kept up to date, but as you said it
should be enough.

Another link I had, but which is now dead, for which I can not find a
replacement:
http://www-
306.ibm.com/software/data/db2/extenders/text/teiseries/support.html

Yes, I found that one. Used the "contact us" to pass it back to IBM, we'll see if I hear back.

Additionally:

A google search on "DB2 UDB Text Extender" is a decent search against
site:ibm.com, and should lead to the IBM URLs for the DB2 family:
www.ibm.com/db2 which resolves to /software/data/db2

The following is a document from the DB2 for i5/OS group, giving an
update for capabilities in v6r1 of i5/OS [now the i operating system 6.1
?] and reference to the extender capabilities available on prior
releases of i5/OS:
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/systems/support/system_i/techoverviews/v6r1/V6R
1_DB2_Related.pdf

Ran across that. Glad to know I read it the same way as you did.

The following is a support page for the DB2 family:
http://www.ibm.com/software/data/db2/support/textextender/
The following is under 'Learn' at the above support page:
http://publibfp.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/h1267480.pdf

That's the one I downloaded.

I thought there was at least one Redbooks document which covered Text
Extender function, but I only found Chapter 3 of the following .pdf with
link from abstract:
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg246130.html?Open
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg246130.pdf
and Chapter 9 as a general Extenders overview in the following .pdf
with link from abstract:
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg246539.html?Open
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg246539.pdf

I'll check those out.

Meanwhile, any idea how
5722DE1 1 Text Extender for iSeries
5722DE1 3 Text Search Engine

Relate to each other?

Thanks again!

Charles

This e-mail transmission contains information that is intended to be confidential and privileged. If you receive this e-mail and you are not a named addressee you are hereby notified that you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this communication without the consent of the sender and that doing so is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected. After replying, please delete and otherwise erase it and any attachments from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.