From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 11:10 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Debugging C ++

Jack

Not sure what you need to do - maybe you aren't either!!

Anyhow, once in the debug screen, put your cursor on the command line there
and press F1 - follow some links to the EVAL command - in there are several
examples of how to use it in various languages.

One of the big deals with C or C++ is dereferencing pointers. Also, be ready
to put the :x extension on the EVAL - lets you see hex values - and add the
length you want to see, for longer than 1024 characters, I think. Also,
there are the :c and :s extenders for character and string something or
others - see the F1 help for details. It's really helpful.

You might also consider getting the Graphical Debugger that comes with the
Java Toolkit - the thing that includes jt400.jar - it's very similar to the
debugger in WDSC but is stand-alone. Try this link

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=/rzamq
/rzamqinstall.htm

HTH
Vern

From: "Jack Derham" <derhamj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I'm a newbie with C ++ and certainly debugging it with the "Green Screen"
debugger (STRDBG). I know there are some relatively new tools in the
market
place

but right now I have to do with what I got. The documentation in the "C++
Programmers Guide" certainly is not the most clear document I have read.
Does anyone

on this list have any suggestions that might help push back the frontiers
of
my own ignorance of the wonderful world of C++.

Regards,

Jack Derham

Direct Systems, Inc.

list