Have managed to keep BRMS in sync with system's inventory (wrktapctg) by
1. move policies - Verify moves . . . . . . . . . : *NO
2. daily strmntbrm with MOVMED=*Yes
3. since data center pulls tape of backup each day & adds a tape from rotation, but has no access to the system, i wrote a clp to dsptapctg to outfile and for every tape in category *INSERT, change to *SHARE400 with cmd addtapctg, which makes it available. (BRMS won't select a tape in *INSERT status). Also counting avail tapes to alert helpdesk when running low.
Jim Franz

---- franz400@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Trying to keep the BRMS inventory of media (wrkmedbrm) in sync with the system's WRKTAPCTG, and in sync with what is actually in the tape library.
Every day it is out of sync. The tape library has 9 tapes in it.
WRKTAPCTG has all 9, but only one has status = avail, yet all the tapes are in BRMS move policies and BRMS sees all of them (plus a few more that are not in the drive). Most in BRMS are labelled Expired, so I would think they are "available", but the systems WRKTAPCTG doesn't see it that way, and our nightly media log shows several attempts to use cartridges before it finally selects one that both inventories agree upon. This is not supposed to be magic...
Our scenario is not unique - a single cartridge needed every night, a 2 week rotation (14 tapes), plus some spares in the drive, because every month end with remove the tape for perm storage (and update the WRKMEDBRM).
Each day an operator at remote data center removes the one cartridge from the I/O slot and puts the tape from 2 weeks ago into a library slot. They have no user access to our system. We have a move policy that says after a save the media goes to a location called VAULT and returns 13 days later.
This is a IBM TS3100 Tape Lib - 23 slots plus a single I/O slot, drive in Random mode (per an IBM Support recommendation). V5R4M5
Cume and BRMS Group at latest levels.
Currently requires user maint every couple days to put back in sync.
Jim Franz