Nathan,

Yes I am myopic, but I wear glasses for that. That
enables me to see clearly.

I'm not a detractor. I still fiercely support this
platform, and still see it as a perfectly viable (and
superior) platform for my customers to run their
businesses on. I've not said it's completely going
away. I've stated that its budget for future
development and enhancement is going away. It's being
"functionally stabilized". For many people looking
for a system to run their business on it is still
going to be around for enough years to make it
worthwhile for them to invest in it. I just wouldn't
go as far as to encourage my 11 year old son to choose
a career in "i".

Whoever said I had a conspiracy theory? What I've
stated about the declining budget is plainly obvious
to any who have observed the declining revenue stream,
the stretching of new releases from once a year (back
in V4 days even quicker) to roughly every two years,
and the declining attendance at COMMON conferences.
(Yes, there may be other many reasons that contributed
to the latter, but it is undeniably a contributing
factor).

I sure hope "The future of IBM i will be based largely
on ISVs and IT organizations adopting and adapting Web
technologies" because if it's based largely on IBM's
enthusiastic promotion of it then we're all screwed.

...Neil

--- Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Trevor,

It's sad that Neil enjoyed a long career with IBM i
and it's
prececessors, but has now joined with detractors,
which generally fall
into two or three myopic camps. One extreme are
die-hard
green-screeners. Another extreme are people who
look to Microsoft as
the ultimate role model.

The future of IBM i will be based largely on ISVs
and IT organizations
adopting and adapting Web technologies. IBM i is in
a solid position to
grow as a Web services platform. But it's beyond
IBM's reach to control
excactly how that's done. That unsettles and
frustrates people who are
at one extreme or another. Unfortunately they fall
back on conspiracy
theories and doom's day rhetoric.

So like you, I suggest that they have a little faith
and DO something
positive that may take them out of their comfort
zone.

Nathan.

--
Sent using goWebtop from Laszlo Systems.
Try it yourself : http://www.gowebtop.com