What would be the cost of a corresponding *NIX or Windows box? That's
the key. Properly configured and such of course.

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Aaron Bartell <aaronbartell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I wonder if the box would be more saleable if a vendor would
pre-build/pre-ship it will a collection of off the shelf open source
applications? For instance, they could load OpenBravo for ERP purposes (
http://www.openbravo.com/), Alfresco for ECM (http://alfresco.com/),
SugarCRM for CRM (http://www.sugarcrm.com), setup a linux partition to be an
email server, Joomla for creating an easy to maintain web presence.

A small company could get a single server to meet a majority of their needs
and only pay for the hardware to run IBM i and Linux. With all the
enhancements to CPU power in the lesser models (i.e. 515) I would have guess
all of these apps could run quite well without much effort.

Thoughts?

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com