The subject line is kind of misleading. This is a bit uglier.

The vendor supplied code has been modified to send data to specific remote
output queues, based on the type of form desired. The printers are Lexmark
printers that are also being supplied from an HP system. The printers have a
DIMM chip in them which is used to print the form on plain paper.

The form to be printed is selected by use of a workstation customization object
attached to the remote output queue or, in some cases, the device description.

We have the following forms selected, so far: F, FR, M, C, SP, SR. May be other
- I am not really involved with this mess.

But, I have been involved when the spool file goes to SND status and then just
hangs. It would be nice to dump the remote output queues and have just device
printing. At least the operator might receive some form of error message when
things go sour.

Here is what I am wondering: Would it be possible to send all the form types to
a single device. As the output gets redirected to the appropriate real device,
the suffix characters would be used to invoke the appropriate customization
object. So, instead of needing potentially six device descriptions for a
single IP, the data stream could get routed to the appropriate customization
object through (maybe) an exit point program that could redirect the output.

I don't know if a) I have explained the mess well enough, or b) an exit point
exists that would allow this to happen.

Restating the mess: instead of having six remote output queues, each with a
distinct customization object, is it possible to use a program that could route
the data through the appropriate customization object and then to a single
output queue?

We have several hundred remote output queues. Not every printer has all of the
above customization objects, thus not all the output queues are in existence or
are needed. But, based on random failures, it seems that having hundreds more
devices is not an ideal path to go down.

I will try to look through the InfoCenter, but I am not quite sure what I am
needing to locate - if it even exists.

Thanks

John McKee