Keith Carpenter wrote:

I don't know what V6R1 problems you may be encountering, but your prior posts indicated you were mostly concerned with distributing observable code (a decompilation risk).

We got rid of the last hack in QuestView around a decade ago. And even published, supported APIs aren't immune to having the rug pulled out from under them: that's exactly what happened a few years ago with an API used in our client-server products, and I think it was before we got a V5 box.

The pain in the butt comes from:
1) having to generate OPM objects in a V6-friendly form without V6-friendly development tools (we've been given a way to do it in REXX, but haven't had an opportunity to test it yet)
2) having to supply anything we can't convert in observable form (admittedly not much of a decompilation risk for the ILE stuff, but it does still increase the bulk)
3) having to maintain both V6-friendly and V4-friendly versions of everything not distributed in observable form
4) having to do all this without a V6 box handy.

Our customers pay us support because it buys them hand-holding and a steady trickle of improvements, many of them user-requested. We don't need to have them held hostage by operating system changes (and indeed, it was the whole treadmill of keeping up with operating system changes that kept QuestView's features stagnant before I started ripping out the hacks).