Robert -

The assumption is bad.

*FIRST doesn't mean that MEMBER will be the one selected by the override.

Even though DSPFD *MBRLIST shows them ordered by name, an override to *FIRST
will select the member which was CREATED first, so if member ZZZZZZ was the
first one created, it will be the one selected by the override to *FIRST.

Simple test:

1) Create a source physical file named TESTSRC.
2) Use SEU or WDSC to create a member named BBBBBB and put 'Created First'
source data.
3) Use SEU or WDSC to create a member named CCCCCC and put 'Created Second'
source data.
4) Use SEU or WDSC to create a member named AAAAAA and put 'Created Third'
source data.

4) Now, OVRDBF FILE(TESTSRC) TOFILE(TESTSRC) MBR(*FIRST)

5) STRSQL and run this SQL statement:
SELECT *FROM TESTSRC

What do you see?

- sjl