From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jones, John (US)
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 9:16 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: small i & power systems (disk performance)

The 640 was SPD while the new machine will be PCIx or PCIe. SPD was at
least an order of magnitude slower than either PCI interface. 6501
controllers had no write cache; 6533s had 4MB.

And, each new generation of hard drives tends to have better performance
even at the same spindle speeds. Compare the 4th & 5th generation of
Seagate 15K drives. Note the huge differences in minimum & maximum
transfer rates and, more important for ASystemiSeries/400 shops, the
multi-user IOMeter (a.k.a. server) scores:
http://www.storagereview.com/php/benchmark/suite_v4.php?typeID=10&testbe
dID=4&osID=6&raidconfigID=1&numDrives=1&devID_0=321&devID_1=273&devCnt=2

Same manufacturer, spindle speed, and interface, but the 5th gen drive
trounces the 4th gen drive in every meaningful measure.

--
John A. Jones, CISSP
Sr. Analyst, Global Information Security