Steve,

In light of some of the notes that fly when you post on 16MB spaces and 10 character names, have you considered prefacing your wishes with:

" I realize that i5/OS with the terapace storage and data models supports storage addressing simliar to other systems -- for instance memory allocations of up to 2GB, the use of 8-byte integers as pointer values, etc; that the IFS supports file/object names similiar to other systems -- for instance a file name such as '/ThisIsAFairlyLongNameWithALongExtension.ThoughPerhapsNotTooLong'; that a given job (or even a careful individual program) can utilize both teraspace and single level storage concurrently, etc. but I would like to see IBM extend the traditional Single Leval Store and library system (which is admittedly unique to this platform) to also incorporate the capabilities of i5/OS teraspace and IFS. This would represent an architectural capability far beyond other platforms and help negate criticism in the marketplace."

Just a proposal.

Bruce

Steve Richter <stephenrichter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
the spirit of the article and comments reads as an embrace of the operating
system of the 1990s. The hardware people at IBM are doing world class work.
The software team is what is holding us back now. SLS is aged with its 16meg
segment limit and the inablility of pointers to stay valid between IPLs. ILE
has not been improved in 10 yrs. 10 char limit on object names is bad, Fix
it, ok.