John,

Just out of curiosity, have you tried accessing the corporate DNS servers?

I've never heard of anybody "securing" a DNS server from use. Protected from updates sure, but not
queries. Although looking at the manual, it is possible....I just don't really see the sense. For an
internal server, why would you allow somebody on your network, but not access the DNS?

Ideally, your DNS servers would forward all request for anything other than ourdivision.com to the
corporate DNS servers.

Otherwise....loading a given list of A records is equivalent to pre-loading the DNS cache on your
server....I think, though honestly I couldn't find any information about doing so <grin>

Can you just add an A record? I didn't think you could....but this page has me wondering....
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/html/as400/v4r5/ic2924/index.htm?info/RZAISCONVERTH.HTM

or http://tinyurl.com/4mppe6

(from Converting host table entries to DNS)
Suppose that an AS/400 host table contained these entries:

10.110.42.1 host1
10.110.42.2 host2.mycompany.com
host2alias.mycompany.com
10.110.42.3 host3.mycompany.com.