find a clear explanation of the implications of configuring multiple primary
zones." If I do so, will it kill anything that currently is running?

JK

On Thu 08/04/10 13:21 , 'Chris Bipes' sent:
I gather your i5 DNS is running your internal DNS and all of the DHCP
clients point to your i5 for DNS. You can use Operation Navigator to
add static entries to your DNS server. Select your system / Network /
Servers / DNS. Right click on the DNS server name and select
configuration. You may have to add a new primary zone for the internal
domain. Then you can add the hosts.

Chris Bipes
Director of Information Services
CrossCheck, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx[midrange-l-bounces@midrange.com] On
Behalf Of johnking@xxxxxxxxxxx: Thursday, April 10, 2008 11:54 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: i5 DNS server - replacing PC host table entries

Would someone be kind enough to give me some pointers on adding entries to our
i5 DNS server?

Our little ten-user network has used the i5 DHCP and DNS servers for
years. Last month we installed a T1 to the new corporate HQ and were
given access to a number of browser-based apps on their internal
network. Since we were not given access to their internal DNS server
we've had to use each PC's host table to resolve the URLs. Currently
there are 25 entries for each PC and the list is scheduled to grow next
week. Until such time as we are permitted to use HQ's internal DNS, I'd
like to use our i5 DNS but need a little education. I've read
half-a-dozen DNS tutorials from the internet but can't translate that
knowledge to this particular situation.

Our i5 currently runs a single server "ourdivision" which has a single
primary zone, "ourdivision.com", which defines a few internal addresses
and points to our ISP's DNS for everything else. Since HQ's new URLs
have a different domain "someserver.ourheadquarters.com", they will not
fit into the existing primary zone. Do I just need to define an
additional primary zone to the existing server, or is it necessary to
configure an additional server for HQ's new addresses?

Since "ourheadquarters.com" is also a public company with internet
access, I do not want these changes to interfere with existing internet
access. That is, if one of my users launches a URL from her PC (from an
emailed link, a favorite, a web-page or green-screen menu, whatever),
I'd like for her PC to first query our
i5 DNS to see whether it resolves to one of the special apps that we've
been given authority to use. If not, then I'd like for her PC to do the
normal thing and go ask our ISP's DNS.

---- Msg sent via Internet America Webmail - www.internetamerica.com