The script does the same backup process every night Mon-Fri. Weekends are different since we are not open for business and not here to change tapes. The script does a save of security data, configuration, all non-system libraries except our test libraries, all of the IFS. We IPL every Sunday AM and savsys once a month. The only time we do a GO SAVE 21 is just before an upgrade or OS or hardware.

Wouldn't it be odd if a save of an object caused it to be decompressed? What would be the purpose of doing compression if on every save
(which every object on the system should be saved at least once a month) the object was decompressed.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Evan Harris
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 3:28 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: Longer backup after an IPL

Hi Mike

What does the backup script do ?

Seems to me that a good place to start would be a compare of the joblogs on
the IPL backup and another one to account for the differences.

If the differences is just in the save operations could you do the DSPOBJD
before each of them and compare the objects and sizes being saved? This will
tell you if for instance something is getting compressed and then the first
save caused it to be uncompressed (this is a complete shot in the dark).

If I really had to just guess I'd look for a weekly housekeeping job that
runs weekly the day after the IPL runs. Don't forget to check the GO
ASSIST/CLEANUP settings.

Regards
Evan Harris