Key data is in the index as well, only not likely to be in a contiguous
memory location as it is in a file. Instead it's likely to be spread across
several nodes (leafs). But we shouldn't get bogged down with internal index
implementation.

Bottom line is that you're saying that with SQL it is possible to get
index-only-access if you're only projecting columns contained within an
index. This is yet another reason to be explicit with which columns you
project in the SQL statement rather than using an asterisk (I know it's
easy, I use it all the time in my examples, but I avoid it in embedded SQL,
honest :)).

Elvis

Celebrating 11-Years of SQL Performance Excellence on IBM i5/OS and OS/400
www.centerfieldtechnology.com