Vern

From: "Mark Villa" <iseries.4.me@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi All,

I am curious if anyone else has checked deeper into native DB commands
from various vendors that could automatically populate new tables? And
once you establish relationships for the tables, the command observes
the schema rules.

The question: are there DB or vendor add-ons that you know of that
will generate pseudo data for load testing tables?

The ideal scenario might be running a DB command LOADSCH using a
starting key set, ending key set, and all possible combinations
between and perhaps starting at a 20% load rate. My idea of 20% is: DB
maintains good breadth of key ranges but saturation of possible column
contents only contains a random portion you targeted, i.e., 20%

I have not done the math, but I am guessing that a 60-100% load rate
would typically be millions of records.

This command is (in my view) "data processing" and it is what
computers do best and seemingly could be performed best by the native
DB manager.

The alternative seemingly is to write programs to load/reload or skimp
on test data volume and range quality.

--
Mark Villa
Summerville, SC