For some basic exploration of a joined update, check out:

"Anatomy of a joined update" article in December 12, 2006 Centerfield
newsletter

For general join primer, check out:

"SQL Joins Primer" article in February 12, 2007 Centerfield newsletter

Here's the link:

http://www.centerfieldtechnology.com/publications/

Also, I think SystemiNews had an article on joins in their latest magazine
(ProVIP edition).

HTH, Elvis

Celebrating 11-Years of SQL Performance Excellence on IBM i5/OS and OS/400
www.centerfieldtechnology.com