Mark, I have built and supported a Websmart based site for over 7 years.
I've also deployed a few with the easy400 rpgle/cgi toolset and also from Brad Stone's
e-rpg books. I find it very easy tool to work with. With their functional samples I was
able to build and deploy a large project in less than half the time of the above methods.

It is a very stable product. I would agree w/Dan about the html editor, but then if
you look at html coders, many prefer no editor (use notepad) and Dreamweaver is
a predominant tool. I use the text notepad like part of Websmart, but right now
mostly in maintenance mode.
Have never had a performance issue on small iSeries - the 1st Websmart install
was on a 73cpw S10 server in 2000. We used color in the html, but no picture files
to keep performance good on that box.

Very easy to call existing programs. Anything with complex calcs already in rpg
or rpgle I call (and it is no different than any other rpgle to rpgle call).

btw- the source generated is very readable, and has helped me see my own logic problems. I
spent years digging in Synon2e generated code and this is much, much cleaner.

I have yet to hit a limit - something I could do in my own coded cgi, that I can't
do with Websmart and a handful of called rpgle programs.
I also consider Websmart as a tool to serve local users.
Not yet using Nexus portal (only because customer not wanting to spend$)
Taking about 10,000 hits a day on a 520 3800 cpw 2 gig memory, plus 20 local users and never break a sweat.
I do use Gumbo Software's Spool Tool to serve pdf versions of reports.

If you (or your customers) have long term goals in this direction, a proper toolset and methodology
will serve you well, and (i think) tools like Websmart are more efficient in the long term, and well worth
the money.

Jim Franz

----- Original Message ----- From: "M. Lazarus" <mlazarus@xxxxxxxx>