Apparently, there is a problem with ccsid on V5R4 which
causes the problem I described. After several attempts at
getting it to work, I finally gave up and called IBM.

Support gave me the PMR and the work around.

Apparently, it got changed back in V5R3 and they broke
it again by fixing the other problem.

|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| |
| APAR#: SE28511 |
| |
| |
| |
| Component: 5722SS1DB - OS/400 DATABASE |
| |
| |
| |
| Release(s) R540, R999 |
| |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Abstract
OSP-DB-INCORROUT CPYTOIMPF FROMCCSID NOT CONVERT 37 TO ASCII

Error Description
The command CPYTOIMPF does not convert files with CCSID 65535
to IFS, even if the parameter FRMCCSID is populated. The result
file has the correct code page, but has still EBCDIC code
indside instead of ASCII.

Problem Summary
Copy To Import File (CPYTOIMPF) command, has a conversion issue,
when exporting Physical Files (PF) that are contained inside a
65535 Coded Character Set ID (CCSID) field to a ASCII Stream
file.

The Stream file is created with the correct encoding scheme, but

the
exported data does not comply with the to-file CCSID. In this
scenario
customer tried to export data in 37 CCSID using From CCSID
(FROMCCSID)
parameter, into a Stream file with an ASCII code page.

Problem Conclusion
The CPYTOIMPF command has been updated
to comply the FROMCCSID parameter, when
processing from-file fields that are encoded
in 65535 CCSID and they are exported to a
Stream file in ASCII.

Temporary Fix

Comments

Circumvention
1) Using STRSQL to enter to interactive SQL session; create a
table with a character data type, using the from-file ccsid,
with the same length issued at the original from-file PF.

CREATE TABLE MYLIB/NEWFROM (F1 CHAR ( 20) CCSID 37 NOT NULL)

2) Exit STRSQL and issue the following command using the new
created table.

CPYTOIMPF FROMFILE(MYLIB/FROMFILE) TOFILE(MYLIB/NEWFROM)

FROMCCSID(37) DTAFMT(*FIXED)

3) Replace the from-file parameter of your original statement
with your new from-file to export it to IFS.

CPYTOIMPF FROMFILE(MYLIB/NEWFROM)

TOSTMF('/mylib/fromfile1.txt') STMFCODPAG(*PCASCII)
RCDDLM(*CRLF)

PTFs Available

Affected Modules

Affected Publications

Summary Information
Status................. CLOSED UR1
Severity............... 2
HIPER.................. No
PIN.................... No
Reported Component..... 5722SS1DB
Fixed Component........ 5722SS1DB
Failing Module......... RCHMGR
Reported Release....... R540
Reported Release PTF...
Latest Release PTF.....
FESN................... 0907906
Duplicate Of...........

Pat Barber wrote:

This has always been confusing to me.

I wrote a short clp that copies a generic data base file to the
IFS so that it might be e-mailed to another location.

The copy "seems" to work fine and using WRKLNK, I
can see the file and it's contents with no problem.

I then tried to open the file using note pad and the records
are all gibberish.

When I checked the file ccsid, it's 37, which I think is wrong.