Lloyd and Steve,

Thanx for the help.

I disabled AUTOCLEAN, and it does what I expect it to do now.

Thanx,

Nick

Nick Radich
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
EPC Molding, Inc.
Direct (320) 679-6683
Toll free (800) 388-2155 ext. 6683
Fax (320) 679-4516
nick_radich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<lgoodbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
03/24/2008 03:31 PM
Please respond to

<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: IBM 3581 tape drive and Slot 7

Your unit is probably set to automatically use a cleaning tape, which
loads in slot 7.

PP 89-90 in the setup, operator, and service guide say:

Determining the status of the autoclean function:
1. Ensure display is LDR READY.
2. Press and hold NEXT then MODE buttons until DIAG MENU appears.
3. Press SELECT. The message that displays acts as a query about the
status that you want to set:
. If SET AC ON displays, the autoclean function is off.
. If SET AC OFF displays, the autoclean function is on.
4. Press MODE to return to LDR READY.

To disable autoclean (if above said SET AC OFF):
1. Ensure display is LDR READY.
2. Press and hold NEXT then MODE buttons until DIAG MENU appears.
3. Press MODE until AUTOCLEAN appears.
4. Press SELECT. SET AC OFF displays.
5. Press SELECT to disable the AUTOCLEAN function.
. The cleaning slot will ejected.
6. Remove the cleaning cartridge and press SELECT. LDR READY displays.

HTH,
Loyd

Loyd Goodbar
Senior programmer/analyst