On 3/19/08, Eric Lehti <elehti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I really appreciate Michael Ryan's comments about how i5/OS (system
admin, user management, security, spooling, work management, database)
compares very favorably to Linux, Unix and the other *Nixes.
Why? A certain, brash young network administrator loves to spout
unsubstantiated claims that Linux on a Dell server is far better than
IBM's System i.

here is a microsoft authored, feature by feature, comparison of
Windows Server vs Linux:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/compare/Windows-Server-2008-and-Red-Hat-value-comparison-chart.mspx

interesting to me how i5/OS is different enough from other OSes that a
side by side comparison would not tell you much. better to compare
system admin tasks: number of steps, level of expertise needed to
authenticate a new user, to authorize a user to access a specific
table. Time needed to troubleshoot a failed program. Training and time
needed to config the system to server a static web page.

-Steve