Suggested COMMON learning path for a new to the iSeries Developer:

Extra charge Sunday workshop: 11LB "WDSc/RSE for RPGers"

Many of the courses recommended here:
http://www.common.org/conferences/sguide/S08/000045.htm
Some are conflicts, like, blow off the COBOL one and go to the
Introduction to CL Programming instead.

The newbies might rather go to
25CE-"i5/OS Concepts for Those New to the System" instead of 25MB.
Especially if you think an explanation of how the i5 differs from the
mainframe might pertain to these people.

23CE seems silly when 23GH, 23AE are much more applicable.
And I might recommend 25CE, 25AC, 25AD or even 25MG "RPGIV Programming for
beginners" over 25MB FTP Automation. Really, how did they come up with
some of these suggestions for this course of study?

If you don't want to shoot a whole day to 31LC, intro to cl programming
then maybe:
31MA-DB2 for i5/OS introduction to SQL
32CE - RPG IV Programming for Beginners - Part 2 (leave the sql course
early to get to this one)
In addition to the suggested courses by the course of study consider the
following. (Sometimes the ones in the suggested COS are ok and you might
want to go one of their suggested ones - like don't miss 44MC. Other
times I can't understand their suggestion at all.)
33GH - ILE Introduction
35GH-ILE: Static Binding Decisions
35LB-OPEN LAB: RPG IV Programming for Beginners (repeated at 36LB)
36MC-Embedding SQL into Application Programs
41CC-BIF's in Free-Format RPG IV
41GH-ILE: Binder Language and Service Programs
45AD-Advanced Error Handling for ILE and RPG IV
45LB-OPEN LAB: ILE repeated in 46LB
46AE-Introduction to Data Definitions in RPG IV
46GH-Excel Spreadsheets from RPG with POI (You should catch at least one
Scott Klement. Let's you know practical ILE.)
46MC-Error Management in RPG IV Programming
51CD-Getting to Grips with Pointers and User Spaces in RPG IV
51GG-RPG IV: The Power of Prototyping
Go to one of the 5xLC labs
52GG-RPG IV: Subprocedures - The Basics. Now, can anyone see why that
wasn't recommended?
53GG-V6R1: RPG IV: Subprocedures - Beyond the Basics
54LB-OPEN LAB: DB2 for i5/OS, Get Your "Hands-On" the System i Relational
Database
54MF-System i Navigator: Overview
55GF-Creating & Managing Database Objects Using SQL
56MF-Application Modernization: DB2 for i5/OS Style