Lukas Beeler wrote:
On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 10:47 PM, Tom Liotta wrote:
I can't quite agree with this. NotePad uses Windows native I/O
functions to do its reads/writes. I suspect that STRSST D/A/P is

You're confusing terms here. In the Windows world, the term "native
I/O" does not exist - it's called "I/O". Mainly because Windows lacks
the integrated database and multiple filesystem support that i5/OS
has. A direct mapping between i5/OS and Windows would be "I/O" vs.
"IFS Stream File I/O" (even that isn't entirely correct, because you
can access DB/2 through the IFS).

Joe has said much of what I'd say, so I'll leave most of that out. Personally, I stepped into the System/38 after programming under the Pick OS implementation on Microdata Reality systems. No need to list all the different platforms (H-P, DEC, and others) I have experience with.

After catching on to the S/38 and CPF and what IBM(Rochester) was doing, my interest hasn't wandered. But that's not the same as never looking elsewhere. Why do you think I was able to create my own SQL Server database to test against so easily?

It's irrelevant.

What you missed were the quotes I put around "native I/O". I used them because I was responding to the way the term was used way back near the beginning of the thread/discussion. It wasn't my term. I'm indicating that I'm discussing the concept that was presented and that I'm trying to get an answer from Dave on what /he/ means by it.

No answer yet.

Tell Dave that he's using the wrong term or using it wrong; don't tell me.

I'm pretty sure that he means something about how _programmers_ are allowed to code programs. But it's not clear at all because _programmers_ can write code on Windows as well as on whatever systems run Oracle or any other "real RDBMS".

I'm looking to understand why DB2 for i5/OS is inferior because it's in control for "native I/O (whatever that means)" when other RDBMSs are not.

And I noticed that you didn't provide an answer for that either...?

Open your eyes. Open your mind. Look at other platforms. See how they
work. See how they solve problems.

Remember, different doesn't mean worse.

After some 35+ years, believe me -- I've seen just about all of them. Remember DYL260? Remember coding for ISAM access under M/PM? How about OS-65U and switching between the various processors they made available, from 6502 to Z-80 and back in a running application? (I still have an OS-65D system, a C4P, that works.) Oracle on DEC has been a few years gone for me, but I remember how it used to be. Is Forth available for System i? THAT was fun stuff!

But that's old news. Today I need to know about SQL Server, etc.,...

Fine. Dave knows such stuff in detail, enough to consider DB2 under i5/OS not to be "real". He gave reasons -- one of which had to do with "native I/O". It seemed to be an important reason, but it wasn't defined in any useful sense.

I'm hoping to be educated by him about it so I can understand his point.

Maybe you can explain...

Tom Liotta