Lukas Beeler wrote:
i5/OS and Windows are completely different platforms, built with a
different history and goals. Windows does not have the native I/O that
i5/OS has.
This is so untrue. The only reason Windows even exists as a business platform is because of "native" I/O. I don't know how old you are, Lukas, but you have to still recall something called dBase, right? If it weren't for dBase, Windows (and DOS before it) would never have been used for business applications. SQL Server is the Windows implementation of SQL. But prior to that, all those thousands of desktops used ISAM access.

Now we have the year 2008 and the hacks that IBM provides are even
more incomplete than those that Microsoft provided.
Oh please, not the 10-character object thing again. Get over it. There isn't a single business issue that can't be solved by a 10-character object name. Yes, it's a limit, but I really don't want IBM "fixing" it anytime soon. If you want long names, use the IFS and stay the heck out of the QSYS library system.

Open your eyes. Open your mind. Look at other platforms. See how they
work. See how they solve problems.
You seem to have the bizarre notion that nobody on this list ever programmed on anything else. I've programmed on dozens of different platforms and operating systems, including several I wrote myself. There's nothing special about Windows. The original was a hack on DOS, NT was a ripoff of OS/2, and finally XP and Server 2003 are almost usable, but unfortunately decades of bad code are killing it, thus the need for Vista. Unfortunately, with Vista Microsoft has pretty well proven that they can't actually write an operating system without shooting themselves in both feet.

Remember, different doesn't mean worse.
Heed your own words, and open your own eyes, Lukas. There is nothing in SQL that DB2 for i5/OS can't do. Yet there is plenty in DB2 for the i that SQL cannot do or at least not as well. ISAM isn't bad, it's just different, so either open your eyes or ... ah, nevermind. This is way too much of a rant for me. I just got tired of the insinuation that I love i5/OS because I've programmed nothing else. Nonsense. I love i5/OS because I've programmed nearly *everything* else.

Joe