If you really want to be sure you never need to change a primary key make the primary key an auto-increment field and never use it for anything else. You would think something like an organizational assigned employee ID would never change but, guess what, they do.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Murphy, Mark
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 11:12 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Why non-keyed PFs back then? Why today? ( was Re: Which ofthe SYSIBMtables/views show the row count for )

I have always heard that a good primary key is a property of the object that doesn't change. So by
definition, you don't want to change the primary key. However, I was at a shop where the designer
didn't hold to that philosophy, and chose a primary key for a locator system based on the location.
It was a disaster because the primary key of records were constantly changing, and it was impossible
to track items through the system because there was no stable primary key.