What's the difference between writing a quick custom application that fixes production data, and using a tool that already exists that can do the same thing? The DFU method is somewhat more error prone since the user needs to touch each record one at a time but the STRSQL method would be exactly the same as putting the SQL in an application

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tommy.Holden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2008 11:47 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: DFU on a production box ... was Which of the SYSIBM tables/views show the row count for

write a quick and dirty embedded SQL program, test and run...takes minutes
not a problem.

Thanks,
Tommy Holden

From:
Mike Cunningham <mcunning@xxxxxxx>
To:
"'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
03/10/2008 10:45 AM
RE: DFU on a production box ... was Which of the SYSIBM tables/views show
the row count for

Tommy, How do you handle data that needs "fixed" in production systems?
Let's say someone in the accounting office started a batch of AP invoices
and used a date of 03/10/2009 instead of 03/10/2008 and then entered 100
invoices under that batch which replicated the batch date into each
invoice record and tagged 100 Pos as being paid. The head of AP comes to
you asking you to fix the date. The alternative being to delete all 100
invoices and untag the Pos the delete the batch and start all over, which
would put them a day behind schedule and the president of the company
wanted someone paid TODAY!!!!. Do you just say sorry, can't do that, not
my problem? (Of course the head of AP is going to report that IT was
unwilling to help them.) With the proper documentation from the proper
people we would use DFU/WRKDBF/STRSQL to fix this type of problem in just
a few minutes knowing that journaling is there to provide an electronic
audit trail and we have the documentation to back it u
p.