At 07:59 AM 3/9/2008, you wrote:

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 8:39 AM, BirgittaHauser <Hauser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> May be other DBAs fell being redundant on the iSeries, because the system
> makes a lot of work for them.

-snip-

There is one important RDBMS capability that i found missing in i5/OS
DB2, and that was full text search. It is included in V6R1, though.

Full text search has been available for years - as an extra option called a Text Extender - the other flavors of DB2 also had this optional feature, as I recall. Here is something from the overview in the Text Extender manual

DB2 Text Extender adds the power of full-text retrieval to SQL queries by making use of features available in DB2 UDB for AS/400 that let you store text documents in databases.

DB2 Text Extender offers DB2 UDB for AS/400 users and application programmers a fast, versatile, and intelligent method of searching through such text documents. DB2 Text Extender's strength lies in its ability to search through many thousands of large text documents, finding not only what you directly ask for, but also word variations and synonyms.

You are not restricted to searching only in text documents stored in DB2 UDB for AS/400 databases, you can also search in text documents stored in files.

Files in the third paragraph means IFS. There are several text formats that can be searched out of the box, including MS Word of certain versions, XML, HTML, flat ASCII, etc. You can add exit programs to process other types.

An example follows

SELECT * FROMM yTextTable
WHERE version = '2'
AND DB2TX.CONTAINS (
DB2BOOKS_HANDLE,
'"authorization"
IN SAME PARAGRAPH AS "table"
AND SYNONYM FORM OF "delete"') = 1

Now I've not used it, so cannot speak to how difficult or simple it is to use. But it has always been available. There is also an XML Extender.

Regards
Vern