I do not mean Point four in a disparaging manner, Mike. However through the years I have seen that it just happens to often to still be coincidence that the winning choice turns out to be "cheapest", but only *after* enough rationalization has been done.

As to number six... Microsoft isn't at least as aggressive a competitor as Pepsi???

Crump, Mike wrote:
"Forth - Price is never the issue, *especially* when the decision
makers are spending OPM (Other People's Money)."

I'd suggest that this can be a big issue. There are people and
companies that live by cost of acquisition. You don't have the cheapest
system you lose. I spend others peoples money and price is always the
issue. However, I would not even suggest that price is the only issue.

"Six - Coca-Cola blundered, and for a while they pursued the "damn
the torpedoes, full speed ahead" approach to selling the newly formulated Coke."

I think that while there may be some similarities to New Coke there are
just as many differences. Coca-Cola blundered, but this was the direct
result of competitor activities and very detail testing of their own. I
don't think I would call it a damn the torpedoes attitude.

Not trying to be argumentative, IMHO some of the points may not be
accurate....but thought provoking none the less.

Michael Crump
Manager, Computing Services
Saint-Gobain Containers, Inc.
1509 S. Macedonia Ave.
Muncie, IN 47302
765.741.7696
765.741.7012 f
This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended
solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views
or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of Saint-Gobain. <redaction>. If you are
not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments, you must
take no action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them to
anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this
email in error.

The easy way is always mined.