Booth Martin wrote:
Now all the other guy and I need to do is to find some organization
that wants a couple of capable midrange guys to put a up a simple
web app on their midrange machine as a learning experience for
them and us.

I was lucky and fell into one of those opportunities about 9 years ago, and it allowed me to begin building a framework of ILE-based tools and runtime interfaces.

Some years later, I negotiated a partnership with an ISV that had big plans for deploying Web applications, but at the same time was conflicted over whether to use J2EE, MS .Net, PHP, or my ILE-based framework.

My framework started out in an underdog position politically, but I managed to gain a tenuous foothold by being the first one to get a small application to one of the clients in a production setting. Over time, my partners invested millions of dollars into the politically favored J2EE and .Net frameworks which ultimately overextended the resources of the company and we began imploding. All my J2EE and .Net colleagues left or were laid off.

A small group of ILE developers remained, and we began making plans for expanding the use of my ILE-based Web interfaces, but at the same time my partners began using sneaky maneuvers to gain control over my framework which climaxed with a surreptitious attempt to recast the relationship as an employer-employee relationship, contrary to our written agreements, which led me to terminate the partnership under threat of a lawsuit. They finally stopped their harassment, and we parted without further incident.

I know how it can be a war-zone out there. Best of luck!

Nathan.