I have a question about this...
If I have redundant power supplies in an item are you saying they both
supply 50% of the power needed to service the appliance? And if the power
fails then one power supply provides the full 100%?

So if you have a rack full of equipment, all with redundant power
supplies, and the left power supply goes to the left PDU and the right
power supply goes to the right PDU, and both PDU's are rated to 20amp, if
both PDUs are currently drawing 10 amps or greater each then you're
setting yourself up for failure if someone yanks a power cord out to one
of the PDUs? Because now it will be supporting the full 20+ amps?
So, when one PDU or the other approaches 10 amps, it's time to install an
additional pair of PDUs?
Or might it be a little less because the power supply itself draws a
little power or some other engineering anomaly?

I'm about half tempted to amp out a pair of PDUs, yank one out and see
what the other one draws. After of course, ensuring that neither PDU has
both cables from any one appliance.