If the entire room is going on UPS then the Powerware UPS will be on a circuit that is on the room UPS so when utility power goes out the powerware UPS will not know about it until the room UPS is drained which if the room UPS is sized right will never happen (unless you have a really bad utility power company). If the Powerware UPS is on its own circuit outside the room ups then it will most likely cause the i5 to powerdown even thought there is plenty of power available in the room ups. If the building is on backup generator as it should be then the room ups will only be off utility power for the time it takes the generator to take over which is no more than 5 minutes and usually less.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Eric Lehti
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 6:44 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Should we put the system i on a UPS for the entire room?

Bryan, I recommend that you continue using the Powerware UPS with its
9-pin cable connected to your model 520. The advantage to you is that
when utility power fails, your System i will create the message to
QSYSOPR noting that fact. With that information, you can write a power
down CL program to do an orderly shutdown instead of risking a hard
shutdown when your 520 loses all power.

At our location, our emergency generators (fed by utility natural gas)
start up after five seconds off utility power outage ,and will run the
data center indefinitely.
.
Here is a link to IBM's document on writing a power-handling program.
http://tinyurl.com/28sk7b

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=/r
zahr/rzahrovrvwco.htm

Control server shutdown using a power-handling program
A power-handling power program, when used with power protection devices,
can minimize interruption during a power loss situation. Power
protection (for example, UPS) devices help provide energy to the system
when utility power is temporarily interrupted. The energy that is
provided helps prevent system functions from ending abnormally. The
controlled shutdown mechanisms help the system power down as smoothly as
possible, minimizing adverse impacts on re-IPL time.

The following steps can help you get started:

Enabling a power-handling program
Enabling a power-handling program to control system activity during a
power interruption is one way to power down as smoothly as possible.

Implementing a power-handling program
This example provides step-by-step instructions for you to use when
implementing a power-handling program on an iSeries server .

Writing a power-handling program
Writing a power handling program can help you handle a brief power
interruption without doing any unique processing or it can prepare for a
normal power down if power is not restored after a brief time period.

You can tailor the CL program examples to your specific system
requirements, as well as test the power-handling program that you
created.