I've done some of these intensive join logicals in the past. Joining many
more files than this. Like maybe a dozen or so. My thought being why
should the user have to join all this crud together to make Query/400
work? Just create a nice join logical file and have them query that 'data
warehouse'.
Currently I find views easier to work with.

Mike, now you know both ways and can make an informed decision as to which
way to go. If one, or the other, encourages your coworkers to develop
sensible views to ease the users queries then hopefully they'll expand on
that.

This is normally when someone pipes in with I use tool xyz from vendor abc
and the users don't have to mess with this stuff. The only difference
being that the tool calls the join logical file, or view, 'metadata' or
some such thing and still has you build it.
Some of tools will take the referential constraints that you put on your
databases and figure out the joins based on that. That's cool. But I've
found that most people won't use referential constraints because they
didn't use those back on the S/3 so therefore that's when they stopped
learning. That, and they insist on using a poor tool like DDS to define
their data and you can't specify referential constraints in DDS - you have
to use ADDPFCST afterwards. So they don't bother. Using DDL to define
your data puts it all into one place and makes it easier to add, and
remember, the referential constraints.