From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2008 11:58 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Woes on ANZOBJCVN...

I just read the specific information on the objects that fail. It took
me a couple of reads to be sure I got it right, considering the
brouhaha, but here it is:

"Thus a program lacks sufficient creation data for conversion only if
the program or at least one of its modules was created for OS/400R V4R5
or an earlier release AND creation data was explicitly removed."

Since you can only create for CURRLS-2, that means the only objects that
conceivably cannot be converted are ones that were created on a V5R2
machine for V4R5, and have never since been recompiled.

I gotta say, those are some pretty old programs. V5R2 has been out of
support since last April. One would hope that most vendors have at
least recompiled their systems once on a supported machine in the last year.

Yes, I understand legacy machines and orphaned systems. But many of
those machines haven't been upgraded to current releases and so are
unlikely to upgrade to V6R1 anyway.

So unless I read this wrong, you have no vulnerability unless you have
legacy programs with no source that haven't been compiled for a.loooong
time while at the same time you've been upgrading your operating system
from release to release.

Joe