You could do the upgrade in a test environment, try to run all software & see what breaks. Include wrong answers due to how the smaller field used to be used inside various programs.

With DDS you could do a PDM scan to find all places where the same REFFLD reference was used, but this assumes all programmers behaved considtently with some standards, and in your question, this reference is not there.

We can GO CMDREF to dump all software cross index, then query on the bottom up to find which programs mess with some file, but you don't get that at the field level. You have to get a compile of each of them & highilght all places that field is used, copied.

You might consider SOA if similar code fixes need to be made many places.

All,

Yesterday I received a change request that requires an existing PF field to
be increased in size. The actual program changes are trivial - the main
effort will be to identify which display files and printer files use that
field and verify that no other information will be overlaid by the new,
longer field.

Even if we didn't have a cross-reference utility, in our DDS-defined system
this would be fairly simple - dump the DSPFFD to an outfile and query for
the appropriate REFFLD.

Without a utility, I'm not sure how you'd do the equivalent task in a
DDL-defined system. Query the column-label or column-text and hope that the
designer specified everything consistently?

This is not intended as a criticism of DDL, I'm only trying to understand
how you DDL-guys tackle situations like this. If we end up redefining
everything in DDL, what other things should we watch out for?

Many thanks, JK