DSPT (and SNADS) actually runs over APPC. They're just two different types of applications (with related architecture, etc).

Since we're talking LPARs I would go with TELNET. TELNET, unless you do something really unusual, is going to negotiate 5250 data stream and so all should be good. If you had physically separate systems, then I would go with whatever your current network is based on. If SNA, DSPT. If TCP/IP, TELNET. While you can run APPC over TCP/IP it's intended more for convenience and, in your case, would just be adding an unnecessary layer.

I would also suspect that TELNET is considered more "strategic" from IBM than DSPT (though I certainly am not speaking for IBM -- just thinking out loud).

Bruce Vining
http://www.brucevining.com/
Integrated solutions for the System i user community

ALopez@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Just a little aside -- for your "dumb tube" access across LPARs you
might want to take a look at the RMTUSR, RMTPWD, RMTINLPGM,
RMTINLMNU, RMTCURLIB, etc parameters of the TELNET command.

Bruce Vining

Thanks for mentioning them. What advantages would there be in using
Telnet over passthru (DSPT)? I know DSPT uses SNADS, but SNADS works over
TCP/IP now, doesn't it?