On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 3:40 PM, <ALopez@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I see that one can, on version 7 of the HMC, format either a DVD-RAM
or a
high-speed memory key. I can't figure out how a memory key would be
used.

You need to format the memory key first. And then it can be used like
a DVD(?) At least that is what i would assume when reading the docs. I
don't have access to my HMC at the moment.

I can see the format option and mentioned it. But under "Back up HMC Data"
on V7R3.2.0.0 there are three options:
- Back up to DVD on local system
- Back up to mounted remote system
- Send back up critical data to remote site
No mention of a memory key.

Under "Save Upgrade Data" there are two options, Hard drive or DVD.

Leaving me with the same question, where would a memory key be used? The
help does a wonderful job of restating the option ("FORMAT USB FLASH
MEMORY DRIVE -- To select USB flash memory drive as the media format,
select Format USB flash memory drive." -- that has to rank as one of the
most worthless help screens ever....). The "Hardware Management Console
V7 Handbook" doesn't have 'USB', 'flash', 'memory' or 'drive' indexed.
They have 'format' indexed, but none of the three citations explain how
the USB flash memory drive would be used.

I'll order the DVD-RAMs if need be, but I would like to see how many saves
I can make to each one before developing a strategy for backing up the
HMC. I finding that even experimenting with backups is difficult when IBM
had to pick an offbeat format for DVDs and doesn't explain how flash
memory drives are used.