Interesting experiment. Changing to _floor(rand())*11_ resulted in:

....+....1....+....2....+....3
NUMBER COUNT ( * )
0 9,998
11 2
******** End of data ********

So rand() definitely does both 0 and 1, it's just that a true "1" result
is extremely rare.

Charles, perhaps using something like the below would work for you, as
all the other numbers in the range are evenly distributed. A little ugly
but appears to work.

exec sql insert into loyd/randno (number)
values(case when cast(rand()*12 as decimal(2,0))
between 0 and 11 then cast(rand()*12 as decimal(2,0))
end);

....+....1....+....2....+....3
NUMBER COUNT ( * )
0 806
1 853
2 804
3 902
4 844
5 827
6 851
7 839
8 826
9 832
10 831
11 785
******** End of data ********

While #11 is only 94% of an even distribution (833), #3 is 108% of even
distribution.

Loyd Goodbar
Senior programmer/analyst
BorgWarner