Jeff,

I have read the reply from John and he is dead on with one slight
disagreement. I do believe it is better for recovery to keep a separate
ASP for journal receivers. If you were to loose multiple drives in your
system ASP and have to restore from an old tape, (last nights at end of
business day), you will still have your journal ASP available to roll
transactions forward from the last backup to current. If your journal
receivers are in the same ASP, well they are lost as well, so why bother
journaling. (At least not for recovery but perhaps for auditing only.)

Second point is more of a question, what is your system unit and what is
the RAID card in it? That will dedicate what RAID configuration you can
run. Most controllers can handle 3 or more RAID sets.

Another point is when you add the 8th drive to the existing RAID set, it
will not re-balance your RAID configuration. For example on a 2780 card
with 3 drive cages of 5 = 15 drives, the system built automatically 2
raid sets, one of 9 and the other with 6. 8 of the 9 are striped, and 4
of the 6 are striped. Our 2778 controller has 12 drive and two raid
sets, one of 8 and one of 4, all striped.

FYI We are running a 520 with a 5709 RAID controller with 4 drives all
striped.

You really need to decide what you need from your RAID sets. Best
performance, Most capacity, Most protection. After adding the drive,
see what the system does with it, if it is not what you want, end your
raid then rebuild to meet your requirements.

If you have the capacity and performance in your system ASP, build a
second ASP with 4 drives for your journal receivers. If you are going
the separate ASP route, you can buy smaller, slower drives and save a
few bucks.

Chris Bipes
Director of I.S.
CrossCheck, Inc.