Although I jump in and out of QSH and QP2TERM, I guess I am not fully aware of the differences in the environments when invoking PASE. That has come back to haunt me after getting SSH configured and accessing PASE via pUTTY. For example, java -version in QSH and QP2TERM produce: java version "1.4.2". In pUTTY, nothing is output. Not even an error.

echoing the $PATH variable DOES provide the same information between QSH, QP2TERM and SSH. But I am not sure where other things like java CLASSPATHs and such are set when accessing PASE through other shells (like pUTTY using SSH). I thought it was the .profile file, but there are no entries for CLASSPATH (for example) in .profile, and yet java -version returns a value in QP2TERM.

Aaron had a post in November that spelled out the QSHELL vs PASE differences and I also scanned news://news.software.ibm.com with no luck. Although I am specifically am having trouble trying to invoke java from within pUTTY, I am wondering of there are other environment settings that need to be attended to so that AIX binaries and Java programs are properly invoked in PASE.

Anyone have pointers or a link that spells out the particulars between the way the different shells set environment information?

Thanks

Pete Helgren